Forums

Topic: Game Bargains

Posts 101 to 120 of 207

BAMozzy

stylon wrote:

will bag myself a year or two's subscription extension later on then in that case

I buy all my Gold and now PS+ from CDKeys as well as all my 'credit' too for myself and my son. I also bought Wolfenstein: the Old Blood through them too. They are one of (if not) the cheapest around for the things they sell. You have to get a code from their facebook page and enter it in at the 'checkout' page to get the extra 5%. I believe it is cap sensitive too.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

BAMozzy

Tesco Direct has a 2 for £80 pre-order offer on selected games. If you fancy pre-ordering any games after seeing them at E3 the Offer ends today!! 19/06/2015 so not much time left....

I have pre-ordered Uncharted 4 and Star Wars: Battlefront for PS4 myself - saving £18 off the combined price for both on this site....

Other games available are MGSv (day 1), Fallout 4, Mirrors Edge 2, The Division, Black Ops 3, Mad Max, Arkham Knight, Fifa 16, Tony Hawks Pro Skater, Battleborn, Just Cause 3, Rory Mcilroy Pro PGA, AC: Syndicate, F1 2015, Homefront, Rainbow Six Seige, Dead Island 2, Lego Marvel Avengers and Disney Infinity 3.0 - Star Wars Starter Pack (for XB360)

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

stylon

Traitor!

Seriously though that's a nifty deal... not for me but hopefully someone will be able to take advantage of it. One day the digital pre-orders might be that cheap too lol

stylon

Xbox Gamertag: stylon

BAMozzy

stylon wrote:

Traitor!

Seriously though that's a nifty deal... not for me but hopefully someone will be able to take advantage of it. One day the digital pre-orders might be that cheap too lol

LOL I can't help it if the games I want to play are on PS4 and/or associated with Sony. As far as I am concerned, the console is just a 'tool' needed to play games on....

I will still be on XB1 with Rise of the Tomb Raider, Rare Replay, Gears of War 4 but I see no reason to play games like Black Ops 3 when I can get the content I want earlier or in some cases - extra content too (like Batman: Arkham Knight for example) The whole reason I have both is for exclusives and to take advantage of 3rd Party exclusive deals too.

I thought these deals though were good. £40 each is not bad although sometimes you can find games cheaper but looking around - neither of the 2 I pre-ordered are less than £45 each.

stylon

I've got a PS4 too but it is purely for the exclusives. Unfortunately for me this has meant that I've only really played 4 games on it so far. Killzone, Infamous, Drive Club and The Order and I only finished the last of those because I got bored with the first two very quickly and DC was simply a massive disappointment.

My next PS4 game will probably be Uncharted 4.... and then Last Guardian if I'm really, really lucky!

With hindsight maybe I shouldn't have bought it at launch!

Edited on by stylon

stylon

BAMozzy

I have Killzone and Infamous too... Drive Club and the Order didn't appeal and will be getting Batman next - extra content on PS version. There are of course a few other games between now and Uncharted that I want/will get with Mad Max, Uncharted Nathan Drake collection, CoD: BO3 and SW: Battlefront but it will depend on finances - I also want Rare Replay, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 Expansions too....

I only bought mine a few months ago so I don't have many games yet - its still playing catch-up to my XB1

stylon

Yeah I'll be getting all those although won't rush to get the ND collection as I'm not going to replay them any time soon. Have you played Bloodborne - seems to get a lot of praise (I haven't) and is a proper PS4 exclusive.

I'll always choose the Xbox for multi-plat games though, even if it means waiting for DLC or having 900p instead of 1080p. I love the pad, the achievements, the snapping stuff and the social side of Live so I can compare game progress and share clips and stuff with my mates who also have Xbox's.

Edited on by stylon

stylon

BAMozzy

stylon wrote:

Yeah I'll be getting all those although won't rush to get the ND collection as I'm not going to replay them any time soon. Have you played Bloodborne - seems to get a lot of praise (I haven't) and is a proper PS4 exclusive.

I'll always choose the Xbox for multi-plat games though, even if it means waiting for DLC or having 900p instead of 1080p. I love the pad, the achievements, the snapping stuff and the social side of Live so I can compare game progress and share clips and stuff with my mates who also have Xbox's.

I didn't get Bloodbourne myself as I don't like the Demon/Dark Souls games and this is 'similar' in essence. I do like the setting and overall look but I am not a fan of that style of game play and frustrating repetitive nature of the game. Naughty Dog are incredible developers and I loved Uncharted 1-3 and beat these many years ago - I haven't replayed them so an opportunity to go through all the stories again before 4 will be good.

I don't mind the resolution differences myself and do prefer the asymmetrical layout of the XB controller but I must admit the DS4 is a lot more comfortable and better designed than the DS3 and earlier controllers. Achievements are much better than the trophy system too but I really can't stand the snapping feature and its clunky response time. Live is still better than PSN in my opinion too and seems more reliable however I do think the gap has closed since the XB360/PS3 days. Other features like the ability to compare games, stats etc is another area I like on XB1 too. I never share clips or watch those shared by friends so this feature doesn't matter to me. I must admit some of the social features like Party Chat etc really don't function as well as the 360's and the UI/OS really is sluggish and sometimes frustrating but maybe Windows 10 will give this a much needed boost.

I have no particular loyalty to any console - If I did I would be using a Wii U primarily after all I had a Nintendo before any of the other consoles, I would be using a PS over Xbox too as I played on the original PS before MS joined the consoles. For me its the games themselves that dictate which console I buy for. Take Batman (my next game) as an example - why would I sacrifice extra content, maybe visuals too on a single player game (so social features are redundant) and pay the same just to use a controller that's 'slightly' better?

Batman though is not a good example directly as I am getting it on both consoles. I pre-ordered the Ltd Edition on XB1 over a year ago - long before I was in a position to buy my PS4. I couldn't swap my order for the PS4 version as they had sold out by that time so I pre-ordered the PS4 version (a special deal meant it's costing £35). As the price for the Ltd Edition has subsequently gone up a lot and I still pay my pre-order price thanks to pre-order guarantees, the difference between current and last years price is nearly the cost of the PS4 price I am paying.

Maybe with certain MP games that I have a bigger and better social experience with, I would consider buying on the system that gets DLC or certain content at a later date but the main reason I have both is to take advantage of exclusive deals - not just the exclusives themselves. For me it would be hard to justify buying a console for 2-3 games a year and therefore the games and content of multi-platform releases are certainly contributory factors in my decision making - more so than differences between console features. Console features (such as Achievements, controller preferences, community etc) only come into play with me if the multi-platform games are identical in terms of contents and release schedule - more so than resolution!

Edited on by BAMozzy

stylon

I don't think it's loyalty so much - it's just that I prefer the Xbox way of things and actually dislike some of the PS features. For example I've always hated the DS controller - I've got big hands and the position of the sticks is really uncomfortable. You're right the DS4 is an improvement, but not much. I still have to contort my thumbs to reach them and cannot play for more than an hour or so without my hands aching. I used to have a 3rd party controller for my PS3 that was laid out like a 360 pad which made life a lot easier but I've not seen one for the PS4 yet.

Even when playing single player games though I make use of the 'social' features. If me and my friends are playing the same game then there's a bit of friendly competition to see who's getting the achievements first, how far progressed we are, how many kills we've made etc. We use the screenshot facility to take pics of our characters or make clips of what we are building in Minecraft etc.

I'll admit it's a little annoying that we won't be getting the Scarecrow stuff for Batman at launch but it's by no means a deal-breaker for me. There'll be more than enough content to keep me satisfied in the game even before the DLC starts coming out

stylon

BAMozzy

I felt exactly the same about the DS3 - particularly when racing and using those triggers! However I haven't yet had the same problem with the DS4. There is a 3rd party 'xbox' style DS4 - although I believe it is wired. Because of the extra comfort and usability from my perspective, the controller is now a lot less of an issue,

When I play Single Player games, more often than not (probably 90%+ of the time), I appear offline anywayas I want to focus in on the story etc. I don't want to be bothered by Party invites, communication etc. It doesn't bother me who gets an achievement first or who has the most kills. I can always look those up on Smartglass (A great addition to MS) if I wanted after a play session. I have never been that competitive over leaderboards either and would rather help someone to better my results than try and better theirs. I do think the XB1 has some good social features and exciting changes ahead - some address (or look like they will) my issues with the UI and OS - If they work as quickly and efficiently as the recent Demo. The addition of Cortana too could well be the best - I hate the snap feature and sluggish response!!

Batman maybe not a great example s I said I have both PS4 and XB1 ordered. I have both Rocksteady's other Arkham games on both PS3 and XB360 too. The exclusive extras are not expected to be exclusive for long - Fall 2015 I believe. Not all additional content is a decider for me. Fallout 4's offer of Fallout 3 for example is not a deal breaker - I already have 3 (on both XB360 and PS3) and with the Backwards Compatibility I could play 3 on XB1 and buy Fallout 4 for PS4. Mods are unlikely to arrive anytime soon as the PC isn't getting the mod suite until early 2016 and not having mods never affected my enjoyment of any console game before.

A game like CoD though is more significant - well in the past. By the time the DLC arrived on Xbox, I am ready for more maps and of course additional Co-op (like Zombies) too. I want to be first to experience these and it often reinvigorates my desire to play. Even though these have a big social experience, a lot of the friends I have on Xbox came from random lobbies and no doubt PS4 CoD can and will offer the same.It has the potential to increase my social circle on that platform.

I have 3-4 times as many games on my XB1 and I can see many games I want to get as well. However I do want to build my PS4 library up as well (especially as one of those is completed to platinum) so that I have just as many options and reasons to play rather than let it gather dust until a specific 'exclusive' arrives. Its easier to justify buying a multi-platform game with extra or earlier content for me.

stylon

Thanks - I'll be sure to check that out!

stylon

BAMozzy

@Tasuki that's the one I was thinking of. Unfortunately not available in the UK yet, is wired and lacks a few features of the DS4 though. It may signal the start of a range of 3rd Party controllers being available in the near future including those with the asymmetrical layout.

Tasuki

@BAMozzy Yeah its only available in Japan now but that's my biggest hope is that this means we are going to see some third party controllers for the PS4.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

@Tasuki from my perspective, I don't really care either way. I haven't bought a 3rd Party controller since generation 6 and that was because they were wireless versions and the official controllers were still wired at the time. It was my experience of these (as well as many years of other 3rd party controllers) that finally convinced me that the official ones are the best in terms of durability and longevity.

Tasuki

BAMozzy wrote:

@Tasuki from my perspective, I don't really care either way. I haven't bought a 3rd Party controller since generation 6 and that was because they were wireless versions and the official controllers were still wired at the time. It was my experience of these (as well as many years of other 3rd party controllers) that finally convinced me that the official ones are the best in terms of durability and longevity.

I totally understand where you are coming from, I use to be the same way. Though this last gen I have noticed some third party controllers are really good as good as first party but tend to be cheaper in price and that's what I am looking for. It's crazy that these first party controllers cost as much as a game.

I know that Rock Candy makes a real good third party controller and last gen Mad Catz made a good fight pad. Also Hori is a good one too.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

stylon wrote:

Captain_Chao5 wrote:

Arkham Knight Season Pass - £29.99 on CDKeys: http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/season-passes/batman-arkham-k...

Why is the season pass for this game so expensive... they're usually like £20 (Witcher 3 for example) and this is £30 even discounted?

Season Passes are cheaper than buying all the DLC separately. Compared to games like CoD which charge £40 for their Season Pass this is cheap - saving £8 on the cost of it all separately (4 x £12 each). If you add up all the DLC for Arkham City (Harleys Revenge, Nightwing and Robin Challenge packs, Batcave Challenge Map and the Skins pack - you could add in the Catwoman one (£7-8) as well as that was sold - depending if you bought the game new or second hand) the cost of all this was actually more than the RRP of the all this content. Its difficult to explain why this Season Pass is that expensive as we don't know what content will be released. I hear it is 6 months worth with new content every month. Harleys Revenge for example was £12 on its own so I can see Batgirls costing the same. Both the Nightwing and Robin packs were £7 (or £8) each - I can't remember exactly now but even if they were £7 each that's £26 for just those 3.

The Witcher 3 season pass is for 2 expansions - I thought it was £25 though - 1 expansion is £10 whilst a bigger one is £20 if bought separately. Destiny's Season Pass was £35 for 2 expansions - but each was £20 though.

Season Passes are the most economical way to purchase ALL DLC. If WB are charging £30+ for it, then the cost of the individual packs are going to cost more. You don't have to buy the Season Pass until you know exactly what you are getting for that money - you could wait until the final pack is announced but generally if there is one pack you don't want, its cheaper to buy individual DLC pack(s).

stylon

Witcher SP is deffo £20 - I bought it on Saturday (from Game of all places lol).

Just seems that the Batman SP is the same cost as the entire freaking game which seems bloody expensive to me. Maybe there is 40 hours worth of new gameplay or something included so it's justified but if it's just a few missions lasting a couple of hours each, some character skins and challenge maps then no way. I'll be waiting to know more before flashing the cash on this... I'm no skinflint but I can see why some people wait for the GOT edition for stuff like this

stylon

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.