Forums

Topic: AAA game(s) that you can't get into

Posts 1 to 20 of 24

RonJMaclean

This is not a way to be negative or bash someone else for liking different games, in fact it's fantastic how there is so much variety out there for millions to enjoy. With most of the years biggest games already out, it made me wonder what big games people just can't like, no matter how hard they try?
For me it would be any Skyrim/Oblivion or Dragon Age type RPG's and I know this may shock some but I just can't get into Super Smash Brothers at all. I've played every single one, including the new WiiU version and I just can't force myself to like them.
How about you guys and girls?

RonJMaclean

Tasuki

There are alot of AAA games that I just can't get into some of them being Halo, Madden, The Elder Scroll series, Assassin's Creed series (although I did like III and IV) and a few others that I can't think of now.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Gamer83

Aside from The Witcher, I've never really been able to get into games with that fantasy kind of setting. So Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, they're both series that I kind of overlook, unfortunately. Surprisingly I could never get into the Battlefield games despite FPS being one of my favorite genres.

Gamer83

SuperKMx

I'm with you, Ron.

I genuinely don't see the excitement and hype for Super Smash Bros. There are people going absolutely insane for it, and it just confuses me as to why.

I already have Power Stone 2 on the Dreamcast. That came out in 2000 and appears to be Smash Bros. on an more interactive 3D stage, without Nintendo characters.

Does the job for me.

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Tasuki
SuperKMx

I'm with you, Ron.

I genuinely don't see the excitement and hype for Super Smash Bros. There are people going absolutely insane for it, and it just confuses me as to why.

I already have Power Stone 2 on the Dreamcast. That came out in 2000 and appears to be Smash Bros. on an more interactive 3D stage, without Nintendo characters.

Does the job for me.

I still need to find a copy of Power Stone for the DC, heck I just need to get my DC collection going.

My Backlog

RonJMaclean

@SuperKMx & @Tasuki
Oh man how I loved the Powerstone games.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't get into Smash Bros.
The way people are going crazy for it, made me think I was off. Lol
Personally the only Nintendo series I loved was anything The Legend of Zelda. Everything else was hit or miss with me.

RonJMaclean

captainhetty

The Witcher and Destiny.

The Witcher games I should, by rights, love. RPGs are without a doubt my favourite of all favourites ever... But it bores me to death. I can play it for an hour or two and then I just want to turn it off.

Similarly with Destiny, there's just no fun for me there. I try leaving it in hope when I go back to it I'll find something to love, and I just don't.

GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty

Xbox Gamertag: captainhetty

tylertreese

I have been having a blast with Destiny but I doubt I would be if I wasn't playing with friends. Its a nice game to play while just catching up with some friends over voice-chat.

As far as games I couldn't get into: I think Assassin's Creed is largely a bad series. I enjoyed IV but it was more the "I'm a Pirate!" parts and not the stealth gameplay which was as broken as ever. Also I hate every following mission. Those are not fun >.>

Edited on by tylertreese

"Eat light, you stupid machine!" - Lex, Bioforge

Xbox Gamertag: tylertreese | Twitter:

DesiccantOwl
captainhetty

The Witcher and Destiny.

The Witcher games I should, by rights, love. RPGs are without a doubt my favourite of all favourites ever... But it bores me to death. I can play it for an hour or two and then I just want to turn it off.

Similarly with Destiny, there's just no fun for me there. I try leaving it in hope when I go back to it I'll find something to love, and I just don't.

Hey Hetty! As I'm sure the members of Alpha team, and the members of this lovely forum, can agree Destiny is much better when you play with other people who know you. Red, Bam, TallPaul, BlackSilver and Hippy all have a blast when we run through the Raid. I'm sure they would be more than happy to link up with you if you wanted someone to play with.

Edited on by DesiccantOwl

DesiccantOwl

Xbox Gamertag: DesignateTurian | Twitter:

Tasuki
TylerTreese

As far as games I couldn't get into: I think Assassin's Creed is largely a bad series. I enjoyed IV but it was more the "I'm a Pirate!" parts and not the stealth gameplay which was as broken as ever. Also I hate every following mission. Those are not fun >.>

I fully agree with you there.  I tried AC, AC II and Brotherhood but just couldn't get into those games.  I played AC III and finished that one but I have to admit it was the setting that made me enjoy the game so much.  AC: Black Flag I really liked but like you it was due to the pirate stuff more then anything.  AC: BF was like the pirate game that I have always wanted on a video game console lol.  Honestly if it was a new IP instead of using the AC name I would have enjoyed it just as much.

My Backlog

tylertreese
Tasuki
TylerTreese

I fully agree with you there.  I tried AC, AC II and Brotherhood but just couldn't get into those games.  I played AC III and finished that one but I have to admit it was the setting that made me enjoy the game so much.  AC: Black Flag I really liked but like you it was due to the pirate stuff more then anything.  AC: BF was like the pirate game that I have always wanted on a video game console lol.  Honestly if it was a new IP instead of using the AC name I would have enjoyed it just as much.

Yup, I love the setting of those games just wish I enjoyed the gameplay more. Still worth playing for me just to see what is up but I usually wait for a massive sale or rent them.

JaxonH

Metro Redux for sure, can't get into that game at all. Killzone Shadowfall, that one didn't do it for me either. Metal Gear Solid is another, but that's just because I suck at stealth games. Though I did enjoy Splinter Cell Blacklist on the Easy mode. And Little Big Planet, probably because I'm spoiled by Nintendo platformers.

As far as Smash Bros goes, it's funny because I couldn't get into Brawl, which was the first one I played. But the 3DS version got it's meat hooks in me deep, so much so that I was salivating by the time the Wii U version released.

I think some games are an acquired taste (a lot of people swear by Metro Redux, LBP, etc) but for whatever reason I just don't enjoy them.

And any online shooter. I just can't get into competitive shooters whatsoever, which is why I stick to the campaigns.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Xbox Gamertag: ActionJaxonH

Tasuki
TylerTreese
Tasuki
TylerTreese

Yup, I love the setting of those games just wish I enjoyed the gameplay more. Still worth playing for me just to see what is up but I usually wait for a massive sale or rent them.

Yeah I rented AC III from GameFly and ended up keeping it for about 2 months before sending it back.  AC IV I got when I got my PS4 cause originally I had preordered Watch_Dogs to get with the PS4 launch.  When that game was delayed though, the only launch game for the PS4 that piqued my interest was AC IV and since I wanted something to play on my new PS4 I got it.

After I read some reviews I might rent AC Rogue if it its as similar to Black Flag as I think it is.

My Backlog

tylertreese
JaxonH

Metro Redux for sure, can't get into that game at all. Killzone Shadowfall, that one didn't do it for me either. Metal Gear Solid is another, but that's just because I suck at stealth games. Though I did enjoy Splinter Cell Blacklist on the Easy mode. And Little Big Planet, probably because I'm spoiled by Nintendo platformers.

As far as Smash Bros goes, it's funny because I couldn't get into Brawl, which was the first one I played. But the 3DS version got it's meat hooks in me deep, so much so that I was salivating by the time the Wii U version released.

I think some games are an acquired taste (a lot of people swear by Metro Redux, LBP, etc) but for whatever reason I just don't enjoy them.

And any online shooter. I just can't get into competitive shooters whatsoever, which is why I stick to the campaigns.

Felt like you picked some good examples so I'll give my thoughts on a few:

I feel like LBP's physics are poor for a platformer. The jumping has never felt right to me. The creation stuff is cool but it doesn't help that the core game has wonky controls.

I thought Shadow Fall was just straight up a bad game (in the single player campaign, online was fine).

I haven't played any of the Metro games but after seeing some videos of it (namely the Giant Bomb Quick Look) I can tell its not my kind of shooter. Just a little too "hardcore" for myself. Never been into micromanaging ammo or having to wipe off my visor because blood is all over it

Muppetman51

Mass Effect and GTA.

Mass Effect I played to the end of 2 and while the crew quests and exploration were enjoyable in the games, I felt like I was playing it out of obligation rather than enjoyment by the end.

I never really got into the save the galaxy element of the games either, it didn't click with me for some reason. Much like AC's "let's all be scared of a solar flare" I couldn't take the reapers seriously. By no means awful games (although combat in 1 was atrocious come to think of it) to my mind the games were well made and easy to admire, but very hard to love.

GTA is trickier. Loved VC, have a love/hate relationship with SA and IV killed the series stone dead for me so I didn't play V. The thing is, is that this lack of enjoyment feels irrational, in as much as I can't really say why. The things I like about GTA (lunatics, guns, mayhem, settings) are always there but each new version has always made me feel like I'm playing it wrong and I'm too dumb to get why. On the other hand, I'll always have RDR, so it could be worse.

I summon bigger fish to crush Bubble.

SuperKMx
captainhetty

Agreed here. I'm *hoping* that The Witcher 3 rectifies the situation for me. It looks pretty darned shiny.

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Red620Ti

With my first 360, I got ODST bundled in.  That killed Halo for me, never played it again.  I'm getting MCC for Xmas, so hopefully I can look past this and enjoy it.

As regards Assassins Creed, I've played 1, 2, 3 and 4 (sold Brotherhood still sealed) and not got past 50% on any (and that was 2, best of the lot). 

GTA?  ~Loved the early ones on PS2, hated 4, not even bothered trying 5.  4 was the dullest game I had ever played, and when I "failed a mission" on a date because I walked to fast...........meh.

FIFA :  I hate real life football, so virtual "soccer" does nothing for me.

Oh, Hetty:  If you want to join us for some Destiny, you know you are welcome.  We need a replacement for Absentee Des anyway......

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

Xbox Gamertag: Red620Ti

stylon
Red620Ti

With my first 360, I got ODST bundled in.  That killed Halo for me, never played it again.  I'm getting MCC for Xmas, so hopefully I can look past this and enjoy it.

As regards Assassins Creed, I've played 1, 2, 3 and 4 (sold Brotherhood still sealed) and not got past 50% on any (and that was 2, best of the lot). 

GTA?  ~Loved the early ones on PS2, hated 4, not even bothered trying 5.  4 was the dullest game I had ever played, and when I "failed a mission" on a date because I walked to fast...........meh.

FIFA :  I hate real life football, so virtual "soccer" does nothing for me.

I hate ODST too - never really understood why they made it. Bit like that Will Ferrell movie - 'The Other Guys'... But don't let that taint your view on the rest of the franchise.

Likewise I really enjoyed previous GTA's but 4 was crap. Nico has to be one of the most boring game leads ever, the city was grey and miserable and there just wasn't that much to do outside of the pretty repetitive main missions. GTA 5 though is a whole different ball game - never had so much fun playing a game. It's nothing like 4

FIFA - can't disagree with this one - I hate football too. Only time it gets played is when my 6 year old wants me to have him a game. He normally wins...

stylon

Xbox Gamertag: stylon

Captain_Chao5

<...Dons flameproof suit>

I couldn't get into Titanfall. Admittedly it wasn't a title I was going to buy, but I caved into the hype of all my friends getting it. Now before I get thrown to the ground (think Life of Brian), can I just say I'm not great at shooters and I prefer to only play online with friends. You'd think these two points alone would have rung alarm bells before I pressed the 'Buy Now' button. Needless to say, I only levelled up a few times before the guilt of being last in just about every match (and letting my team down) got to me and I sold it.

You don't stop gaming because you get old, you get old because you stop gaming.

Xbox Gamertag: Captain Chao5

stylon
Captain_Chao5

<...Dons flameproof suit>

I couldn't get into Titanfall. Admittedly it wasn't a title I was going to buy, but I caved into the hype of all my friends getting it. Now before I get thrown to the ground (think Life of Brian), can I just say I'm not great at shooters and I prefer to only play online with friends. You'd think these two points alone would have rung alarm bells before I pressed the 'Buy Now' button. Needless to say, I only levelled up a few times before the guilt of being last in just about every match (and letting my team down) got to me and I sold it.

I can totally relate to that - I'm pretty crap at online shooters. I tried to get into BF4 but the cycle of spawn, run, die gets boring very quickly. COD is even worse - it's just spawn and die. However with Titanfall I found I could compete on a more even footing, not sure why but it was rare I'd end up at the bottom. Granted it's rare I ended up at the top too but half-way and above felt like an achievement.

Having said that, the lack of a campaign and the lack of stuff to do online made me lose interest in it quite quickly. The stupid regen requirements that forced you to use equipment you hate didn't help either. Now I just jump into it when I want a quick spell of mindless shooting.

The Final Fantasy games are my bugbear... mentioned it in another thread but I just find the stories in those games make little to no sense, I can't relate to the characters, the random battles wind me up and the grinding to level up bores me to tears...

stylon

Xbox Gamertag: stylon

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.