Forums

Topic: Gamer Negativity - Overwhelming

Posts 21 to 38 of 38

Vincent294
Tasuki

@SuperKMx:  Yep that's right only time will tell.  For the most part I dont see that happening here either and if it does I am sure you guys will put a handle on things. 

I think part of the reason NL is so bad is just the age of the user base their.  It seems that they get alot of teenagers to early 20s there who think they know it all and when you try to tell them different they get mean and rude about it.  I mean honestly we have all been there I remember acting the same way towards teachers and adults when I was that age.  The only thing is though on the internet they are free to say and do what they want without the fear of repercussion.

Nintendo Life doesn't have the worst community but it certainly has gone downhill. The forums are dead to me.

odd69

Im done with NL and today is the boiling point. I just cant get along with other users. I dont call people names and i am civil until provoked, but when i go off i am labeled as hostile. I dont belong anywhere in the gaming community, i thought i could join others and talk about the things i love and that is gaming and be able to have my opinions, why should interacting with a place ive been going to ever since the start be so stressful?

This post explains it all. and im just done. its my own fault really i should just stay lurking in the shadows like i always have and always will. Im on to better sites and better things, my hobbys is just that its my hobby and my opinions like most are just that opinions. I am silly to think that there is a place where people could get along, my hopes of that are gone. Once this site gets big enough it will suffer the same fate. Its a shame that users like me are ignored and remain unrespected by the community because we are always the first to jump in and support. but i guess its whatever, after today once i do get banned i wont have to the privilege to discuss anything here as i think all the sites are linked together.Even though i deleted most of my ramblings the ban hammer is inevitable.

end/rant

I feel for you. You shouldn't snap like that, but I haven't always been so good at brushing stupid things off myself. You gotta get better at that like I once did. On the internet there are douches that feel entitled to irritate everybody. If I ran a website I'd have little to no tolerance for the bulk of trolls aside from parody accounts, since all they generally do is try to get on your nerves and see how far they can push you for the hell of it.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

Tasuki

@Vincent294:  Yeah I will agree with that, that its not the worst and it has gone downhill.  I rarely comment on the forums anymore most if I do its on older games like in the retro section or in the general discussion section on stuff like the Marvel thread. 

I tend to keep away from the Wii U or 3DS sections as there are alot of bait threads as I like to call them that people post to start a fight or something.  Stuff like why does third party games hate Nintendo for example.  Stuff that you tell the truth in and then they get upset cause they can't handle  the truth and start calling you names or accusing you of being a Sony or MS fanboy.  That kinda of stuff just gets old and tiring.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Vincent294
Tasuki

@Vincent294:  Yeah I will agree with that, that its not the worst and it has gone downhill.  I rarely comment on the forums anymore most if I do its on older games like in the retro section or in the general discussion section on stuff like the Marvel thread. 

I tend to keep away from the Wii U or 3DS sections as there are alot of bait threads as I like to call them that people post to start a fight or something.  Stuff like why does third party games hate Nintendo for example.  Stuff that you tell the truth in and then they get upset cause they can't handle  the truth and start calling you names or accusing you of being a Sony or MS fanboy.  That kinda of stuff just gets old and tiring.

Yeah. Someone got worked up when I argued that Ubisoft was better than EA (look at their histories, particularly on Nintendo platforms as of late, and tell me one isn't better than the other) and that certain Nintendo fans should be grateful they gave some effort instead of complaining no matter what happens. And it's true. You complain about a game skipping your system, and then you complain when it comes without the overpriced DLC you would've complained about and never bought in the first place. It's pathetic. You is abstract of course, not in the context of you. I know you're not like that. It would be one thing if all Ubisoft put out for the Wii U was a lousy port of Fifa "13," but for what it was worth they tried. Rayman Legends coming to 360 at the cost of complying with a delay on the Wii U due to Microsoft's contract is the only substantial complaint I read.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Tasuki

@Vincent294:  Yep that's exactly what I mean.  I totally get at what you are saying and agree with ya but just like you said someone there will start arguing not getting the context of your post and it just goes downhill from there.

My Backlog

Gamer83

Unfortunately as any site grows you're going to get the fanboys. I used to love Nintendo Life, now it's fanboy central and I only post there from time to time (I game on 3DS a lot so need to talk about it somewhere). PushSquare was a great website, now it's full of people up Sony's you know what, and the real problem I have with the Sony fanboys is from Sony's actions, it seems like it is one of the companies that actually listens to these idiots. Normally listening to feedback wouldn't be bad, except a great example of the feedback Sony listens to is 'it's ok that DriveClub is a broken disaster, we know you're working hard.' Great consolation to the people who aren't fanboys and spent $60 on a broken piece of trash that the developers had 11 extra months to work on. Now see, that comment may seem negative but what it really is the 100%, cold, hard truth. There is no way DriveClub should've shipped in the shape it is, another delay would've caused an uproar as well, also rightly so, but it also would've been better than what we have right now. Say that at PushSquare and you get crazies cursing you out, calling you a crybaby, entitled and other bs and there's lurkers who will bother you on PSN. I like the writers at PushSquare, I think for the most part they work hard to bring balanced coverage to the world of PlayStation. Unfortunately, the community sucks. I still comment there though, because someone has to keep it real.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Tasuki

@Gamer83:  I honestly think you are being too hard on Sony but that's my opinion and that's another subject. 

In Driveclub's situation it was a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.  When they needed extra time and delayed it from the launch date people raged honestly if they would have delayed it again people would have raged again.  And honestly the server problems a company doesn't know how the servers are going to preform until the launch day.  Look at what happen to GTA Online on launch day.  Heck even a company like Blizzard has problems whenever they launch a new expansion for WoW.  Just wait in a few weeks when Warlords of Draenor releases their will be servers crashing and other problems all around.  Just cause someone is wiling to wait and can except that they needed a little more time to fix something doesnt make them a fanboy it just means they have patience and don't let every little thing get to them.

My Backlog

Gamer83

People keep bringing up GTA like it's the same situation. GTA actually had a jam-packed singleplayer campaign, which many, maybe even most, were buying the game for. The online was said to be big and it did develop into a big part of the game but it wasn't the main focus. And GTA V's campaign was among the tops in its genre. DriveClub without the online is as barebones a game as there is. They had 11 months, beta test, do whatever, they knew the online was hugely important to the game, and they dropped the ball. They've dropped the ball big time with the Plus version (and though it's another topic, Plus is becoming a complete waste at $50/year given how sh*tty PSN is) and the lack of communication has been a joke. To defend Evolution and Sony over this is to be a fanboy, sorry but I don't know how anybody could see it anyother way. There's having patience, then there's being willing to pull down your pants and let these companies give it to you from behind.

Gamer83

Vincent294
Gamer83

Unfortunately as any site grows you're going to get the fanboys. I used to love Nintendo Life, now it's fanboy central and I only post there from time to time (I game on 3DS a lot so need to talk about it somewhere). PushSquare was a great website, now it's full of people up Sony's you know what, and the real problem I have with the Sony fanboys is from Sony's actions, it seems like it is one of the companies that actually listens to these idiots. Normally listening to feedback wouldn't be bad, except a great example of the feedback Sony listens to is 'it's ok that DriveClub is a broken disaster, we know you're working hard.' Great consolation to the people who aren't fanboys and spent $60 on a broken piece of trash that the developers had 11 extra months to work on. Now see, that comment may seem negative but what it really is the 100%, cold, hard truth. There is no way DriveClub should've shipped in the shape it is, another delay would've caused an uproar as well, also rightly so, but it also would've been better than what we have right now. Say that at PushSquare and you get crazies cursing you out, calling you a crybaby, entitled and other bs and there's lurkers who will bother you on PSN. I like the writers at PushSquare, I think for the most part they work hard to bring balanced coverage to the world of PlayStation. Unfortunately, the community sucks. I still comment there though, because someone has to keep it real.

Now I can respect that Sony's working hard on DriveClub, but yeah, that game's launch was a disaster. They should've given it at least a few more weeks from what I've heard. That was a poor decision. I'd say Push Square's community isn't that bad, but you do not want to see the comments on their Facebook page. It's cringe worthy. I take it that's where one comments after they get banned.

Vincent294

Gamer83

The thing is, I wonder what they're actually doing there. I'm sure they're working hard now but it seems like all prior went into the graphics. The game is a looker, that's the only thing it has going for it. And I'm going to drop the discussion there so as to not derail this any further.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

captainhetty

Gamers are, for the most part, spoilt and over entitled.

Not in a general, sweeping statement way, because I'm well aware not everyone is like this at all; but this has bugged me for years, and even more so since the arrival of things like Games with Gold. every.damn.month social media is full of hate and vitriol, people saying they should 'be getting more' and 'they deserve more' - and that's the issue. People think they're entitled to everything for nothing because they've 'been paying for the service for years'. So? I've been buying Cadbury's chocolate for years but I don't expect them to start plying me with free chocolate for it :/

Over entitled eejits plus anonymity to say things they'd never dare in person tends to equal a whole lot of spite and nastiness. I don't think it's a behaviour specific to gamers generally, I just notice it more because those are the only sort of sites I visit regularly enough to see it.

GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty

Xbox Gamertag: captainhetty

tylertreese
captainhetty

Gamers are, for the most part, spoilt and over entitled.

Not in a general, sweeping statement way, because I'm well aware not everyone is like this at all; but this has bugged me for years, and even more so since the arrival of things like Games with Gold. every.damn.month social media is full of hate and vitriol, people saying they should 'be getting more' and 'they deserve more' - and that's the issue. People think they're entitled to everything for nothing because they've 'been paying for the service for years'. So? I've been buying Cadbury's chocolate for years but I don't expect them to start plying me with free chocolate for it :/

Over entitled eejits plus anonymity to say things they'd never dare in person tends to equal a whole lot of spite and nastiness. I don't think it's a behaviour specific to gamers generally, I just notice it more because those are the only sort of sites I visit regularly enough to see it.

Well said. I find a lot of the PS+ bashing to be insane since they give away some really fantastic games each month. Then again every week on the Playstation Blog you'll see members complain about every 2D indie game that gets released on the PS4 and talk about how they didn't spend 400 dollars to play a SNES game -_-. Just ridiculous notions.

Gaming is a toxic environment online. All you have to do is look at Phil Fish for examples of how easy you can be transformed into a demon just by having some opinions that didn't gel with some people. Like criticize (rightly) that a lot of Japanese devs got out of touch with gamers and suddenly you're the most hated person in gaming.

All these campaigns against women in gaming that have gone on lately has been super depressing too. Really has made me question my love for gaming.

"Eat light, you stupid machine!" - Lex, Bioforge

Xbox Gamertag: tylertreese | Twitter:

SuperKMx

I agree with bother Tyler and captainhetty, as can be seen in my semi-regular "Editor's Opinion" rants about entitlement.

There are times when the comments on this very site, combined with the stuff we get via Twitter and Facebook (more often the latter) really make me doubt if I can be bothered to deal with any of it.

Tell people they're getting a free game, they complain it isn't enough. Announce a competition, they complain that they don't like the ways you allow them to enter the contest. Tell them a big new game is coming out in six months, they complain there aren't enough out now. Tell them a game that's out right now is excellent, they complain and boycott it for any minor reason they can think of. Give them a list of Black Friday sale prices a week before they're officially announced, they complain that they're listed in Dollars and not Tahitian Wooden Sovereigns. It's soul destroying, at times.

Last week, when Sunset Overdrive was free for 24 hours, we genuinely had a comment of "Typical Microsoft, screwing us Xbox One Day One owners over again." on Facebook. I don't understand the logic of that one.

Of course, it's exacerbated by the fact that positive gamers usually keep themselves to themselves because they're actively enjoying the pastime, but there you go.

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Vincent294
SuperKMx

I agree with bother Tyler and captainhetty, as can be seen in my semi-regular "Editor's Opinion" rants about entitlement.

There are times when the comments on this very site, combined with the stuff we get via Twitter and Facebook (more often the latter) really make me doubt if I can be bothered to deal with any of it.

Tell people they're getting a free game, they complain it isn't enough. Announce a competition, they complain that they don't like the ways you allow them to enter the contest. Tell them a big new game is coming out in six months, they complain there aren't enough out now. Tell them a game that's out right now is excellent, they complain and boycott it for any minor reason they can think of. Give them a list of Black Friday sale prices a week before they're officially announced, they complain that they're listed them in Dollars and not Tahitian Wooden Sovereigns. It's soul destroying, at times.

Last week, when Sunset Overdrive was free for 24 hours, we genuinely had a comment of "Typical Microsoft, screwing us Xbox One Day One owners over again." on Facebook. I don't understand the logic of that one.

Of course, it's exacerbated by the fact that positive gamers usually keep themselves to themselves because they're actively enjoying the pastime, but there you go.

That last part is a pretty good insight. I think that's why the internet is so much worse than public. The worst people you see on the Internet don't have a life, everyone else would go away from them or kick them out. Of course, otherwise normal people may get aggravated by the general negativity of the Internet and get mad as well. I used to be like that sometimes when I was younger; I've since picked up the ability to brush nearly anything off and get over it without getting oversensitive or angry at other people. The Internet pretty much requires that these days. People who think they're too blase for the world that act full of themselves, as if the world revolves around them. Trying to piss people off for their entertainment and then cry foul when you criticize them, bait you and say you're "butthurt" or whatever word they use to describe those they disagree with. It's pathetic really, in times like those remember their words ring hollow and they're only saying that because they're stupid or have no life. Stay classy and own their arguments, brush it off and live your life when they don't have one.

Vincent294

RonJMaclean
SuperKMx

Tell people they're getting a free game, they complain it isn't enough. Announce a competition, they complain that they don't like the ways you allow them to enter the contest. Tell them a big new game is coming out in six months, they complain there aren't enough out now. Tell them a game that's out right now is excellent, they complain and boycott it for any minor reason they can think of. Give them a list of Black Friday sale prices a week before they're officially announced, they complain that they're listed them in Dollars and not Tahitian Wooden Sovereigns. It's soul destroying, at times.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you guys said. It seems that in all walks of life, negativity runs rampant in this day and age. I say don't let it bring you down (it's what they want). Those who are negative can revel in their own misery while the rest of us should just ignore every negative comment and only focus on the positives. Maybe if we ignore long enough, they will disappear. I come to this site because the journalists and community are great. Everyone here should feel proud of themselves and to not let the negativity consume us. It's not worth it. Let's just enjoy our great hobby and share our experiences with those who appreciate it with our precious time.

RonJMaclean

SuperKMx
RonJMaclean

Let's just enjoy our great hobby and share our experiences with those who appreciate it with our precious time.

Amen to that!

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Tasuki

@SuperKMx:  Give them a list of Black Friday sale prices a week before they're officially announced, they complain that they're listed in Dollars and not Tahitian Wooden Sovereigns

Lol you had me at the Tahitian Wooden Sovereigns part.  That's got to be the quote of the week.

My Backlog

tylertreese
SuperKMx

Perfectly said. What we see online is just a small percentage of gamers. Personally, I will sometimes have the problem of not stepping back and realizing that the average gamer is not the jerk tweeting at devs and telling them to die. That is just a small minority that is super vocal and gets attention. A lot of gamers are super awesome people like all of you

"Eat light, you stupid machine!" - Lex, Bioforge

Xbox Gamertag: tylertreese | Twitter:

stylon

Can't disagree with anything that has been said here... I've been frequenting the Internet since it was conceived. The last 10 years or so has seen a massive increase in the number of "negative individuals" that populate it. They like to hide behind their cloak of anonymity and complain/abuse/criticise/provoke/threaten constantly. I really wish someone would come up with something that gets rid of that anonymity - I'm sure people would behave a lot better online then...

stylon

Xbox Gamertag: stylon

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.