Forums

Topic: The New 3DS (kind of like a PS2.5 or iPhone 4S)

Posts 1 to 20 of 24

Vincent294

Google it, Bing it, or yell at your Xbox to do it. I want the Miiverse improvements to include friend messaging, and some more games to use up that additional processing power. The 3DS's RAM was crap, and the CPU could be better. Same with the GPU. Gimmeh.
Edit: Damn capitalization on the Pure Xbox home page. I advise you threaten to trade your Xbox in for a PS4 when demanding it search for the new 3DS. That might make it run faster. Maybe a Super Nintendo just to be safe.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

Emanouel

the only issue will be when nintendo starts making game ONLY for NEW 3DS series, they should of came out with a better name like 3DS.2

Words of Wisdom: "Do Or No Not, There Is No Try !" .... Master YODA

Xbox Gamertag: Mr Chimps 2008 | Twitter:

SuperKMx
Emanouel

the only issue will be when nintendo starts making game ONLY for NEW 3DS series, they should of came out with a better name like 3DS.2

They've already done it, unfortunately. The new Xenoblade game only works on the new 3DS. :/

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Vincent294

I hope it has more RAM (the DSi did with its new CPU) or at least friend messaging. If it doesn't have those then I'll skip. I expect this to be more of an 8th gen experience to merit its purchase now that my excitement has calmed down. But damn is it a good time to get a 3DS.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Tasuki
SuperKMx
Emanouel

They've already done it, unfortunately. The new Xenoblade game only works on the new 3DS. :/

Wow so basically its like a new system.  If thats the case that the newer 3DS games only will work on the new model 3DS they are going to have alot of confused and angry people when they buy those games seeing that they are labeled as 3DS games but wont work on their older models.  They should have called the system 3DS 2 or something to avoid confusion.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Gamer83
SuperKMx
Emanouel

Seems like a dumb decision. For all intents and purposes a new, different machine. It should be advertised as one. I'm a huge fan of Nintendo's line of handheld systems though so this is on my list of future purchases.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Vincent294
Tasuki
SuperKMx
Emanouel

Wow so basically its like a new system.  If thats the case that the newer 3DS games only will work on the new model 3DS they are going to have alot of confused and angry people when they buy those games seeing that they are labeled as 3DS games but wont work on their older models.  They should have called the system 3DS 2 or something to avoid confusion.

Yep. According to the rumors, it has double the RAM, a new CPU, but it's worth noting that it uses the exact same GPU the 3DS uses, but with more VRAM for better textures. Given YouTube on the web browser needs more RAM and a new CPU is confirmed, this is shaping up to be a realistic rumor. It's pretty much a new system, but with the same game card format and an new version of the 3DS OS. That with better cameras, flash, NFC support, the 2nd stick, 2 additional buttons, new design, and better battery life suggest Nintendo is ready to initiate a new era of short-lived handheld generations with the same internal architecture for backwards compatibility, like a bi-annual iPhone of sorts. Of the regular and XL variants, I choose the former for the portability.

Vincent294

Vincent294
Gamer83
SuperKMx
Emanouel

Seems like a dumb decision. For all intents and purposes a new, different machine. It should be advertised as one. I'm a huge fan of Nintendo's line of handheld systems though so this is on my list of future purchases.

Exactly. This is essentially a watered down Vita with Nintendo exclusives. Time to get the new 3DS, quite literally. Well, you can't do worse than names like Wii U, but we can count on Nintendo to outdo themselves next time.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Vincent294

My only concern is networking. They haven't outlined if the friend system will use NNIDs or at least let you substitute friend codes with them on the new one. It should, it's 2014. At least friend messaging over Miiverse.

Vincent294

Emanouel

it will probably use the same networking as the 3DS, i like the idea of more shoulder buttons 4 instead of 2 for a portable, but the c analog stick is quite small.

i own the Zelda 3DSXL and i would have a hard time trading that limited edition for a newer 3DS model, i know i can transfer games, but its not the same.

While this upgrade should bring the 3DS to vita like performance, i don't know if this will be up confusing parents. honest they need a better name then NEW 3DS. What happens next year, NEWER 3DS. lol

just call it either 3DS 2.0 or 3DS.5. I'm surprised they didn't announce a more power 2DS. Nintendo is releasing too many sku's which adds more confusion.

Gamer83
Vincent294
Gamer83
SuperKMx

Exactly. This is essentially a watered down Vita with Nintendo exclusives. Time to get the new 3DS, quite literally. Well, you can't do worse than names like Wii U, but we can count on Nintendo to outdo themselves next time.

LOL, I actually didn't think Wii U was too bad a name at first, until I started seeing tons and tons of people confused as to whether it was a new console or not. That's not to mention the more 'core' group of gamers that were probably turned away from the Wii because it lacked a lot of big third party games so sticking with the Wii branding was a bad idea if Nintendo really did want to bring that group back. I could see this New 3DS confusing people but fortunately for Nintendo the DS -regular DS or 3DS - brand name is really strong, so this will sell like hotcakes even if there's some initial frustration with it.

Gamer83

Gamer83

Well of course, that's how it always goes. Always have to try the system before making a full judgement but to be fair to the people who aren't happy, it looks like this could be a little bit uncomfortable to use. We'll have to wait and see.

Gamer83

mamp

I actually don't have an issue with the second stick. I'm just hoping there's more shooters available. I'd like a little variety when on the go. Also makes me wonder if it won't be too bothersome reaching for the ZR and ZL buttons in the back.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

Vincent294
mamp

I actually don't have an issue with the second stick. I'm just hoping there's more shooters available. I'd like a little variety when on the go. Also makes me wonder if it won't be too bothersome reaching for the ZR and ZL buttons in the back.

Yeah. I hope they improve Nintendo Network too. Those two things could help bring a nice shooter to the 3DS.

Vincent294

Emanouel

Now if they Bring Phantasy Star Online 2 to the NEW 3DS in north america , ill be SOLD on it

SuperKMx
Gamer83

Well of course, that's how it always goes. Always have to try the system before making a full judgement but to be fair to the people who aren't happy, it looks like this could be a little bit uncomfortable to use. We'll have to wait and see.

Yeah - I have to say, that tiny second stick looks really uncomfortable to use for folks like me who have giant-sized hands.

I'll surely give it a spin when they're available, though. The SNES-style buttons alone kind of sell it to me!

Ken Barnes,

Gamer83
SuperKMx
Gamer83

Yeah - I have to say, that tiny second stick looks really uncomfortable to use for folks like me who have giant-sized hands.

I'll surely give it a spin when they're available, though. The SNES-style buttons alone kind of sell it to me!

Yeah, I'd prefer a larger design of the circle pad and an Xbox-like layout, left circle pad up top, right near the bottom or like the PSVita set up, but at the end of the day this is a Nintendo handheld, as soon as it gets announced for North America and GameStop tells us what its trade-up program is I'll bring my current 3DS to the store and pre-order a New 3DS (I'm rooting for a name change though).

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

sinalefa

I still want confirmation of how big the power gap between the old and new 3DS is. Right now only Xenoblade seems to be exclusive, and since I have it on the Wii and X is bound to hit next year, then I don't really care.

I wonder if this will be like the CPP where since not everyone has it, it means only a handful of games use it.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

SuperKMx
sinalefa

I still want confirmation of how big the power gap between the old and new 3DS is. Right now only Xenoblade seems to be exclusive, and since I have it on the Wii and X is bound to hit next year, then I don't really care.

I wonder if this will be like the CPP where since not everyone has it, it means only a handful of games use it.

This is going to be the big hurdle to jump for Nintendo. Because they've called it "New 3DS" and to most parents it'll physically be undistinguishable from the "old" 3DS, it'll be a harder sell. Therefore, they need to get a whole load of "must-have" titles in place for the new machine to get non-hardcore gamers to upgrade. Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening.

Announcing a new platform that is absolutely not required unless you really want to play ONE game is a bit baffling, to me. A lot of parents will see it as being the equivalent of charging $200 for a single game, and will refuse to buy it for their kids. And because the only install base will be hardcore gamers, developers will be less tempted to make games that only run on the New 3DS. That install base won't grow by much at least until the old systems have exited the retail flow and the only system you can buy is the New 3DS - but that won't be for a few years. It's a chicken-and-egg situation.

Ken Barnes,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.