Forums

Topic: Steam Virus Hoax (and a Real Scam)

Posts 1 to 3 of 3

Vincent294

If you get a message saying that there is a security hole in Steam exploited by NisseFar or Nivek telling you to pass it on, don't. It's a prank. It started out as a small joke on NisseFar and Nivek done by their friends, but some friend of a friend brought it back and it's become quite infamous. It's made a comeback recently, so beware. If there's one time when it's better sorry than safe, this is it. I learned that the hard way. Nothing like alerting your friends in case it's real, looking it up, and confirming your doubts, right? (sarcasm)

On the other hand, there are some fake trade deals instructing you to download a program first (hint, it's a virus) so watch out for that. It's pretty easy to catch, but I'll repeat it just in case you aren't familiar with the fake download link scam.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

TheBase287

Thanks for the heads up!

Kathryn Johnston

Twitter/GamerTag: TheBase287

EU Lightbringer: Amarante (Lvl. 90 Blood Elf Paladin)

Xbox Gamertag: TheBase287 | Twitter:

Vincent294

Doesn't seem to be too big, but my group of friends were quite annoyed at it. I should've checked before warning my friends instead of after, that would've saved me a lot of time. It seemed like a stretch, but I assumed my friend had confirmed it before telling me. Just some infamous Steam prank that gets passed around really quickly. Now you know.

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.