Forums

Topic: Platforming with Platformers (side-scrolling and 3D-style)

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

holchasaur

Alright, being that I'd consider myself a pretty die-hard platforming fan, I felt obligated to make this thread...

Regardless of console or era, this is the place to talk about all of your favorite platforming experiences, and even your worst. From Aladdin to Awesome Possum, Mario 64 to Earthworm Jim 3D (yikes), there are plenty of great, and downright terrible games to talk about - so lets do it!

I'll start by sharing that my favorite platforming series of all time is Donkey Kong Country. I personally feel that each release gets better than the last (yeah, I even really like the 3rd installment), and I can't wait for Tropical Freeze to hit the Wii U this holiday season. Other favorites are Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, Bit Trip: Runner, Cave Story, and - of course - Super Mario (most specifically SMB3 and World).

So what about you guys?!

Reviews Editor, Pure Xbox
Reviewer, Nintendo Life

Xbox Gamertag: holchasaur | Twitter:

SuperKMx

Growing up with the Master System, Megadrive/Genesis and the SNES, I played nothing BUT platform games for a fair few years. Aladdin, which you've mentioned already, was one of the finest. Beautiful artwork for the time, and some really slick and responsive controls - not to mention some pretty big old levels, put it right up there at the top of the pile. The Megadrive edition is far superior, as the SNES one was handled by a different team and is pretty much an entirely different game.

Aside from that, Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Master System, the 16-bit Sonics, the 8 and 16-bit Marios...all stellar. Even relatively little-known titles such as Soccer Kid and Zool managed to be really top-notch games. Platform/shooters like Turrican II also make the grade for me.

Hard to pick a favourite. Probably Klonoa: Empire of Dreams on the GBA, if I'm pushed. Beautiful little game, and not given the credit it deserves.

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

holchasaur
SuperKMx

Growing up with the Master System, Megadrive/Genesis and the SNES, I played nothing BUT platform games for a fair few years. Aladdin, which you've mentioned already, was one of the finest. Beautiful artwork for the time, and some really slick and responsive controls - not to mention some pretty big old levels, put it right up there at the top of the pile. The Megadrive edition is far superior, as the SNES one was handled by a different team and is pretty much an entirely different game.

Aside from that, Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Master System, the 16-bit Sonics, the 8 and 16-bit Marios...all stellar. Even relatively little-known titles such as Soccer Kid and Zool managed to be really top-notch games. Platform/shooters like Turrican II also make the grade for me.

Hard to pick a favourite. Probably Klonoa: Empire of Dreams on the GBA, if I'm pushed. Beautiful little game, and not given the credit it deserves.

Even though I've played both versions of Aladdin many times as a kid, it was only recently that I purchased them. I haven't revisited the Genesis version yet, but I believe the difference between the two was: combat heavy (Gen) vs. more traditional platforming (SNES)? We didn't own a Genesis when I was young, so my exposure was limited.

Also, not sure I knew that Zool or Klonoa for GBA existed! Might have to look into those two, post haste. Have you ever played Plok? I've been attempted to locate a copy for months now, with no luck. I could succumb to the simplicity of online shopping, but I enjoy the hunt.

Reviewer, Nintendo Life

SuperKMx
DRL

Even though I've played both versions of Aladdin many times as a kid, it was only recently that I purchased them. I haven't revisited the Genesis version yet, but I believe the difference between the two was: combat heavy (Gen) vs. more traditional platforming (SNES)? We didn't own a Genesis when I was young, so my exposure was limited.

Also, not sure I knew that Zool or Klonoa for GBA existed! Might have to look into those two, post haste. Have you ever played Plok? I've been attempted to locate a copy for months now, with no luck. I could succumb to the simplicity of online shopping, but I enjoy the hunt.

Yeah, the SNES version of Aladdin was more along the lines of traditional platforming with less combat, but it was horribly balanced. The Genesis one is just way more stylish.

Klonoa GBA is one of the finest games I've played, to be honest. Real nice. Don't know if Zool is out on GBA, but the original Game Boy version was pretty rough. My experience is with the Amiga edition - which was top stuff!

Ken Barnes,

holchasaur

So...Cloudberry Kingdom, eh? Anyone played this game yet? I don't want to say too much and spoil my upcoming review, but daaaaaaaaaang, the game is INSANE.

Reviewer, Nintendo Life

holchasaur

I'm going on record saying that Super Mario 3D World is my favorite Mario game since SMW. It feels like everything I enjoyed about SM3 and SMW, mixed with elements of SM64, 3D Land, and Galaxy. Simply superb platforming.

Anyone else jump into it yet?

Reviewer, Nintendo Life

SuperKMx
DRL

I'm going on record saying that Super Mario 3D World is my favorite Mario game since SMW. It feels like everything I enjoyed about SM3 and SMW, mixed with elements of SM64, 3D Land, and Galaxy. Simply superb platforming.

Anyone else jump into it yet?

I went to pick it up on Saturday, and was told that it had been pushed back to this coming Friday here in the UK. So no, not yet! Considering heading in to pick it up on Friday, provided my PS4 arrives in good time to allow me to get to the store!

Ken Barnes,

Mr_Stuey

Amiga - Zool
SNES - Donkey Kong Country
N64 - Super Mario 64

Out of these three i would say Super Mario was my all-time favourtite. I spent years on that game collecting every single star !

Special mention would go to Alex Kidd in Miracle World, it stil angers me today that i used to get beaten at Rock,Paper, Scissors.

Mr_Stuey

Xbox Gamertag: Mr Stuey | Twitter:

Gamer83

The Super Mario 3D World demo at the local Best Buy actually has quite a few worlds to play so while it's not the full experience I feel like I've played enough to say it's definitely a much better game than I had anticipated based on the terrible initial trailer shown at E3. It really does feel like it mixes the best of my favorite 3D Mario games which are 64, Galaxy and 3D Land and adds some neat little tricks as well. One game isn't enough to get me to buy a $300 console but for the first time I feel like there's actually a must-play on the machine and with NSMBU already out, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 probably arriving next year and Smash and Zelda almost certain to show up at some point, I could see myself getting a Wii U in the not too distant future. I still feel like the PS4 and X1 will have vastly superior libraries but no other console can offer those awesome Nintendo first party experiences.

Gamer83

Gamer83

Finally took the plunge and bought a Wii U Mario Deluxe bundle since Target had a great deal. Bought a copy of SM 3D World and can say for sure now I think @DRL is right in that it's one of the best platformers ever and when we look back at this current gen after it closes this game will go down as another addition to Nintendo's rich history of generation-defining games. For all that PS4 and X1 have going for them, neither console has a game this good, and I'm only on World 4. Seems to get better and better as it goes. Nintendo may be the only company these days to take platformers seriously but with games like this, not much else is needed.

Gamer83

SuperKMx
Gamer83

Finally took the plunge and bought a Wii U Mario Deluxe bundle since Target had a great deal. Bought a copy of SM 3D World and can say for sure now I think @DRL is right in that it's one of the best platformers ever ...

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I got my copy on launch day (after working out which day that actually was!) and myself and a friend blasted through it. Just such a high-quality piece of software. Love it!

Ken Barnes,

holchasaur
Gamer83

Finally took the plunge and bought a Wii U Mario Deluxe bundle since Target had a great deal. Bought a copy of SM 3D World and can say for sure now I think @DRL is right in that it's one of the best platformers ever and when we look back at this current gen after it closes this game will go down as another addition to Nintendo's rich history of generation-defining games. For all that PS4 and X1 have going for them, neither console has a game this good, and I'm only on World 4. Seems to get better and better as it goes. Nintendo may be the only company these days to take platformers seriously but with games like this, not much else is needed.

Oh man, just you talking about it here has me wanting to go back and give it another playthrough. So many amazing ideas crammed into one game! I remember being a bit skeptical when first jumping in, but as soon as I saddled up on Plessie, I was in love.

Think I might have to add 3D World to my schedule this weekend.

Reviewer, Nintendo Life

Gamer83

I'm at World 6-5 now so I think I'm starting to get near the end? Either way I'll have plenty to do after completing all the worlds because I'm going to go back and try to get stars that I missed along the way.

This game has actually got me thinking too, where does Nintendo go from here when it's time for the next 3D Mario? I love 64, I love Galaxy but I also love 3D World. I think I'd like to see maybe all elements combine. How about a trip back to Dinosaur Island that's open to explore like the Mushroom Kingdom in SM 64? That would be awesome. And maybe throw in a few stages with some gravity-defying gameplay like was in Galaxy. From 3D World it's main some of the powerups I want back. Cat Mario look kind of lame but it's actually a fun power-up and the double cherry can create some chaos, in a good way of course. Only thing I don't want back is the timer. I don't mind that in the 2D games, but some of these levels in 3D World are excellently designed and I'd love to be able to take time to explore them but you're limited by that timer.

Gamer83

holchasaur
Gamer83

I'm at World 6-5 now so I think I'm starting to get near the end? Either way I'll have plenty to do after completing all the worlds because I'm going to go back and try to get stars that I missed along the way.

This game has actually got me thinking too, where does Nintendo go from here when it's time for the next 3D Mario? I love 64, I love Galaxy but I also love 3D World. I think I'd like to see maybe all elements combine. How about a trip back to Dinosaur Island that's open to explore like the Mushroom Kingdom in SM 64? That would be awesome. And maybe throw in a few stages with some gravity-defying gameplay like was in Galaxy. From 3D World it's main some of the powerups I want back. Cat Mario look kind of lame but it's actually a fun power-up and the double cherry can create some chaos, in a good way of course. Only thing I don't want back is the timer. I don't mind that in the 2D games, but some of these levels in 3D World are excellently designed and I'd love to be able to take time to explore them but you're limited by that timer.

I would be the happiest guy ever if I was able to revisit a 3D Dinosaur Island presented in HD. Man, that really sounds great. I think the next Mario should feature a large game world with interconnected towns and locations that could be explored at will. Maybe a structure similar to Super Mario RPG or Sunshine, with NPCs to interact with and help with their problems. I know it would be tough to work true platforming stages into that structure, but I think the potential is there to make it work. Imagine if you could venture from the Mushroom Kingdom to Dinosaur Island or maybe even head up into the galaxy at times. I want a truly ambitious, one-of-a-kind 3D Mario soon. Something that has a similar impact to Mario 64 or Metroid Prime.

Reviewer, Nintendo Life

Gamer83

@DRL

That idea of an interconnected world sounds awesome. And you work for Nintendo Life, forward these ideas along to your good buddy Reggie Fils-Aime.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.