Forums

Topic: Project Gotham Racing

Posts 1 to 18 of 18

Tasuki

Anyone remember this series? I will say that I have never played it.  I remember hearing about the first one on the original Xbox and all they hype but I never owned an Xbox.  Well I was talking today to a co worker of mine and I was intrigued when he told me that the third one and fourth one did make its way to the Xbox 360.  Well the reason I brought this up is cause I tend to enjoy the arcade style racers more the the sim type ones like Forza or Gran Tursimo. 

So I looked up some gameplay videos of it and some reviews and now this games has become one that I am going to have to check out.

So what are your guys view on Project Gotham Racing?  Was it a good game that was eclipsed by Forza's shadow?  Or was it just bad?  Kinda sad that the company that made it is no longer around but it would be interesting to see MS bring back the series for the Xbox One.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

SuperKMx

I loved Project Gotham Racing. The first game in the series - Metropolis Street Racer - was one of the main reasons I loved the Dreamcast so much!

PGR3 was the first game I played on the Xbox 360. I still remember queuing in the rain with two of my buddies on Xbox 360 launch day, waiting to grab our consoles and get home to play. PGR4 was great fun too - a lot more so than its given credit for. Comparisons to Forza are probably a little out there, given the arcade nature of PGR, I think. As someone who's not a huge motorsport fan, I personally always found the PGR series more enjoyable than Forza. PGR is much more fun to me.

Then the development team went on to make Blur which was - again - really top notch stuff. Such a shame that game never really took off with the public. The game's still incredibly playable now, although the multiplayer side of things is obviously non-existent. I'd pay good money for an Xbox One sequel of PGR or Blur.

In fact, this post makes me want to dig out PGR4 again.

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Tasuki

Yeah I figured the Online aspects would probably non existent now but I would probably play it more offline then on.  My son and I prefer the arcade racers over the sims anyway that's what got me into thinking about the PGR series.  I asked a coworker of mine about an arcade racers and he mentioned PGR, so we started talking about it and then I looked it up and wow.

I just never heard of it really since the first game on the Xbox when it comes to racers on Xbox I always here people mention Forza but not PGR but that's probably cause the company is gone.  However my coworker did same that some of the people who worked on PGR worked on Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed so since I enjoyed that game I figure I would give PGR a shot too.  Thinking I might stop by my local Gamestop and see if I can get a copy today.

My Backlog

SuperKMx

And lo and behold...was in my local GAME store this weekend. Project Gotham Racing 4 for 99p. Score!

I'm back in the game.

Ken Barnes,

Tasuki
SuperKMx

And lo and behold...was in my local GAME store this weekend. Project Gotham Racing 4 for 99p. Score!

I'm back in the game.

Lucky you. I have been looking for that game all over my town and I am having no luck.  All the Gamestops in my area don't have it a retro game shop near me doesn't. I am thinking of hitting online but some of the prices I have seem for this game......

My Backlog

SuperKMx
Tasuki
SuperKMx

I'm back in the game.

Lucky you. I have been looking for that game all over my town and I am having no luck.  All the Gamestops in my area don't have it a retro game shop near me doesn't. I am thinking of hitting online but some of the prices I have seem for this game......

You might wanna check UK and Europe prices if the shipping isn't too harsh. PGR4 is region free

Ken Barnes,

Tasuki

@SuperKMx:  Really? I was unaward of the Xbox 360 being region free.  Thanks for the tip I will check that out.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Tasuki

Wow that is certainly interesting.  I think I might try a couple more retro shops as well as a few contacts that I have and see what comes out of it first.  But if nothing does I just might have to check the UK markets.

My Backlog

Tasuki

HA!  Finally scored a copy of PGR 4 at a record store the next town over for only $5.

Can't wait to play it now.

My Backlog

SuperKMx
Tasuki

HA!  Finally scored a copy of PGR 4 at a record store the next town over for only $5.

Can't wait to play it now.

Woo! Nice one! I still have to boot my copy up again. Tonight, I'll be hitting the tracks for sure!

Ken Barnes,

Tasuki

Well I have a few hours before work and the home all to myself.  Going to hit the tracks in a few minutes. 

My Backlog

Tasuki

Ok played it for awhile and I have to say I had a blast with it.  Gotta work on my drifts and such but that's ok I am still new lol.  I can't wait to really sink some time into this game.

My Backlog

Tasuki

Ok so I have to ask how the heck do you drift in this game?  Either two things happen to me when I try to drift I either go skidding off into the wall or I lose alot of speed going into the corner.  Any tips for a new comer to the series?

My Backlog

SuperKMx

You're using the handbrake button, right?

PGR's drifting is VERY arcade-like. Unlike any other game, really. It just takes practice.

Ken Barnes,

Tasuki

Yeah I have been using the hand brake.  Honestly I haven't played an arcade racer for some time so that's probably it I am out of practice lol.

My Backlog

SuperKMx
Tasuki

Yeah I have been using the hand brake.  Honestly I haven't played an arcade racer for some time so that's probably it I am out of practice lol.

I feel your pain. Picked it up again this weekend and WOW am I awful at it!

Ken Barnes,

Tasuki

Well I am somewhat settled in to my new place (at least enough where I can play some games ) so I think I will give it another go here tonight.  I am maybe thinking I might change the handbrake to one of the trigger buttons and see if I can time it better that way.  Still tough having a blast with it.

My Backlog

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.