Forums

Topic: New Xbox always online? Creative Director makes Twitter posts on this?

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

Tasuki

This rumor has been going around for awhile and I will say the same thing that I said than.

The fact that alot of people dont have online in their homes yet even in the US would hurt them sales wise.  Heck I have a co-worker that doesn't have internet in his home yet the Xbox 360 is his favorite console.  And then there is people who cant get internet cause where the live even if they want to so what are you going to exclude them.

Honestly IMO opinion if the 720 or whatever it is you want to call it does make it so you have to be online then I will probably opt for the PS4.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Tasuki

This rumor has been going around for awhile and I will say the same thing that I said than.

The fact that alot of people dont have online in their homes yet even in the US would hurt them sales wise.  Heck I have a co-worker that doesn't have internet in his home yet the Xbox 360 is his favorite console.  And then there is people who cant get internet cause where the live even if they want to so what are you going to exclude them.

Honestly IMO opinion if the 720 or whatever it is you want to call it does make it so you have to be online then I will probably opt for the PS4.

My Backlog

SuperKMx

Unfortunately, this looks more and more like its going to be the case.

I have absolutely no problem with requiring an "always-on" connection. Some do have incredibly valid reasons to not want it though. I think it would cause a dent in sales, but we also have to bear in mind that Sony could still make the same move.

All up in the air, once again!

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

SuperKMx

Unfortunately, this looks more and more like its going to be the case.

I have absolutely no problem with requiring an "always-on" connection. Some do have incredibly valid reasons to not want it though. I think it would cause a dent in sales, but we also have to bear in mind that Sony could still make the same move.

All up in the air, once again!

Ken Barnes,

jordanmarsden

What bothers me about this is that it's not at all in the consumer's best interests. Some areas don't even have access to high-speed internet connections, and they're supposed to just "deal with it"?

The used-games restrictions would have been understandable, the 'always-online' approach is just a Sim-City disaster waiting to happen.

I think Sony came out and said that their console would not require a constant internet connection, but I could be mistaken.

Jordan Marsden

http://about.me/jordanmarsden

Xbox Gamertag: Jordan La Forge | Twitter:

jordanmarsden

What bothers me about this is that it's not at all in the consumer's best interests. Some areas don't even have access to high-speed internet connections, and they're supposed to just "deal with it"?

The used-games restrictions would have been understandable, the 'always-online' approach is just a Sim-City disaster waiting to happen.

I think Sony came out and said that their console would not require a constant internet connection, but I could be mistaken.

Jordan Marsden

Tasuki

Agree with the both of you.  As I just said on NL's thread about this topic and as Jordan pointed out.  What if you are in an area that has no service or data limits like satellite that means that you cant even play offline games on disc.  Heck I have a co-worker that has a 360 but its not connected to the net cause just plain and simple he cant afford that expense, but he can still play games like Borderlands, GTA IV etc.  Microsoft is going to alienate those people big time.

Heck what happens for me when for some reason my internet goes out cause of a hiccup with my IP?  One time I had no internet for 4 days.  Yeah so I would have a Xbox Paperweight if that is the case.

Telling you this now if what Jordan says is true about the PS4 and this online all the time is true with the new Xbox well than it looks like I will be going with PS4 this gen.

My Backlog

jordanmarsden

I find it laughable that Orth compared it to a vacuum cleaner requiring electricity... By their very nature electronic devices require an electrical current in order to function, but we've been playing video games offline for decades. Suddenly requiring a persistent connection is purely a profiteering exercise.

Sure, I might be playing it up a little, but it seems Microsoft are resting on their laurels and downplaying the impact Valve could have on the industry, and it could prove very costly for them.

Jordan Marsden

jordanmarsden

I find it laughable that Orth compared it to a vacuum cleaner requiring electricity... By their very nature electronic devices require an electrical current in order to function, but we've been playing video games offline for decades. Suddenly requiring a persistent connection is purely a profiteering exercise.

Sure, I might be playing it up a little, but it seems Microsoft are resting on their laurels and downplaying the impact Valve could have on the industry, and it could prove very costly for them.

Jordan Marsden

SuperKMx
jordanmarsden

They sort of did, but then went back on it, but then seemed to say it again. I think they're waiting to see what Microsoft do, if I'm entirely honest. Even at this relatively late stage in the game, it would be easy to build an always-on requirement and then just turn it off in the firmware - so anything could still happen.

Ken Barnes,

Gamer83

Sony's not above making idiotic decisions as we saw from 2006-2007 but I don't think they'd be dumb enough to follow MS and go with an always-on connection. It has to realize the potential marketshare it could gain back from MS due to this.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Vincent294

Like some have already said, Internet isn't available everywhere whether or not you want it, and the your internet can have issues. Sim City is a great example of servers going down on an always-online game, screwing over the game's players in the process. That's what worries me - internet hasn't become reliable enough to make mandatory in a console.

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.