Forums

Topic: Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition

Posts 1 to 20 of 85

Vincent294
Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition

Description:
Welcome to the Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition thread! This is where you can discuss all things Minecraft, including the PC version & Pocket Edition as well, despite the name of this thread. Post You Tube videos, images, tutorials, and diagrams of creations as well as discuss upcoming features. You may also report bugs here so that people can avoid them if they'd like and confirm a glitch's existence.  This thread can also be used to arrange online multiplayer as well. Encourage others to try new things with fresh ideas, like design concepts, survival tips, etc. I may split the online multiplayer discussion into a dedicated thread if this one ever explodes in popularity. Lastly, check this post regularly for new designs from me. I've been designing lots of new, helpful stuff and plan to post some of my designs on here with a picture and tutorial (and perhaps a diagram too).

Online Multiplayer Info:
[list=*]
[*]Follow the rules of the world you're playing in - no griefing, trolling, pillaging, etc. if it's not allowed. If it is, you may cause as much chaos is your heart desires.[/*]
[*]You may arrange plans with each other to play at a certain agreed time if you'd like. You can just build stuff on your own, or work together on one big project.[/*]
[/list]

Recommended Links:
Check out these helpful links, including the sacred Minecraft Wiki. Be sure to recommend me a good site to add to this list if you'd like; your help is appreciated.
[list=*]
[*]Behold the sacred Minecraft Wiki...[/*]
[*]And its helpful tutorials[/*]
[*]Etho's You Tube channel, Etho's Lab[/*]
[*]Captain Sparklez's You Tube channel[/*]
[*]Mojang's Bug Report Site for PC / Pocket Edition[/*]
[*]4J's Xbox 360 Edition Bug Report Thread @ Minecraft Forums[/*]
[/list]

Advice:
Here's some tips you might not know that I have for you. If you don't know the basics, go to the Minecraft Wiki to learn them (click the link). And while you're at it, here's some things not to do.
[list=*]
[*]When fighting mobs, be aggressive & kill them quickly so they don't get the chance to do much damage.[/*]
[*]Making quarries is a great way to find caves & get resources like ores, cobblestone, + dirt / sand.[/*]
[*]Sword blocking in lava reduces the amount of damage you take from it.[/*]
[*]Etho's Minecraft PvP Lessons & Sethbling's Redstone Lessons w/ a Mojangster are great ways to learn about PvP + redstone on You Tube.[/*]
[/list]

My Designs:
You know this is what you came here for (I'm being sarcastic, of course). Here are some of my best designs (the calculations for how fast they run is way off. I'm unsure about what factor is how fast it runs I'm not taking into account, but I'll find out later. Until then, just take a guess of them running half as fast or so):
[list=*]
[*]Cobblestone Generator (runs @ about 60 blocks per minute)
This cobblestone generator makes 3 blocks of cobblestone every generation cycle (15 ticks / 1.5 seconds) [or 120 blocks a minute]. It achieves this by having a line of pistons underneath a row of recently formed cobblestone. The pistons are part of a layer protecting the redstone circuit below from the water and lava above it. Under the line of pistons is a line of any block; these blocks, when powered, will activate the adjacent pistons above them. Redstone repeaters send a charge into these blocks to power them, and receive a signal from a line of redstone dust connecting to a redstone clock. This clock is set to a 15 tick delay. Above, the cobblestone is made by water and lava placed in a U-shaped ditch (water at the top of one end, lava at the top of the other, and cobble forming in the bottom of the middle) [remember to encase the liquids so they don't destroy the redstone]. The pistons push the cobblestone up to where it can be mined, and obsidian can be placed to stop the flow of cobblestone if you'd like. I like to keep the line of generated cobble 3 blocks long, since that's the maximum amount you can mine with an unenchanted stone pickaxe, but you can extend it if you'd like to mine more with a better pick. This design can also be used for a fast auto-regenerating wall if you want.
Cobblestone Generator (runs @ about 60 blocks per minute)[/*]
[*]Stone Generator (runs @ about 90 blocks per minute)
Notes: - Perspectives are told from a head-on view
- Refer to [#] when told.
This design is far different from the cobble generator I made. It generates smooth stone instead of cobblestone, its speed scales to your pickaxe's mining speed (plus redstone latency), it cannot be used in auto-regenerative structures, it's more expensive to make, & it's bigger too. I had trouble making it on my own, so I went on YouTube for ideas. Bebbodux had some great ideas, so I incorporated the best of our ideas for my design, which is more compact than his is. First, remember to encase the generation chamber I'm about to describe so the liquids don't wash away any redstone or form any stone where it doesn't belong. It starts w/ 5 water source blocks in a line, with water flowing towards you from them. Above that water, place 5 lava source blocks with a block of space between the water & lava source blocks [2].  By now, stone should've formed where the runoff water was. Under that, place a line of sticky pistons facing up with a block of space between them & the stone. Behind that space, place a line of regular pistons facing you.
Next, feed lines of redstone repeaters set to minimum delay into all the pistons and connect those lines w/ redstone dust [3]. On the right side, connect the circuit w/ more redstone dust. Make it so that at the change in elevation, the redstone dust feeds into a block. Replace the dust on top of that block with a redstone torch [1] so that the signals on each side are inverted. Then, form a loop by connecting the left side w/ even more redstone dust (leave the loop incomplete until the end) [4]. In the middle of that, place a redstone repeater set to a 3-tick-delay. This will prevent the torch from burning out if the generator skips a cycle when the game lags. The next part is the most critical. Make a one-block-tall change in elevation to the left of where the pistons will pump out the stone when you finish the generator. Also make sure the redstone dust connects as opposed to feeding into the block by leaving a block of air above the redstone adjacent to the change in elevation. This guarantees that the redstone signal only travels when all the stone has been mined to tell the machine to generate more stone (remember to mine on the right side of the stone).
Last, if you were to run the generator as is, you would observe that the lava would eventually fall too fast & dry out the water. The machine would then proceed to malfunction. To fix this, Bebbodux uses a line of pistons to set the lava's progress towards the water back. Above the redstone torch mentioned earlier [1], place a block & another torch on top of that to invert the signal. Then, use pistons for some of the casing in the rear, behind the space between the lava & water [2] facing towards you. When they extend, they will take up the space previously occupied by runoff lava. Connect the torch to the pistons using the method mentioned earlier [3]. The final step is to finish the loop you were supposed to leave incomplete earlier [4]. Now you're done.
Stone Generator (90 bpm)
Stone Generator (90 bpm) (back view)[/*]
[*]XP / Music Disc Farm
Note: - Refer to [#] when told.
First, do some caving & light up the caves. Building a quarry (I prefer to make 10 X 10 ones) nearby helps find lots of caves. This will increase the spawning rates in your spawner. Next, build a 23-block-tall 1 X 1 shaft to leave the mobs w/ half a heart of health left (except zombies, who will have 1 heart left). Make a 2-block-tall hole at the mobs' feet so you can hit them without getting hurt & pick up their drops. You can also place pressure plates at the bottom of the shaft + under the spider filter [1] & wire them up to a status indicator. You can even use pistons / sticky pistons to rearrange the wall so skeletons can shoot creepers for it function as a music disc farm as well.
Afterwards, build a 3-block-tall 2 X 2 chamber filled 2 blocks deep w/ water flowing diagonally towards the shaft; use signs to cut off the water flow. Then, make a 2-block-wide, 1-block-tall tunnel sticking out a bit to filter out spiders [1] past the main shaft; build it at the top of the water in the chamber. Fill it w/ water flowing towards a 2 X 2 hole.
Last, make spawning pads above the chamber. I prefer to use 10 X 10 ones w/ 2 X 2 holes in the center lined up over each other. Make sure to have 2 X 2 holes or larger to let spiders through + place signs in the holes to trick mobs into walking into them. I also have dispensers w/ water in the corners wired up to a button. If you do this, make sure to have another dispenser w/ water near the button so you can tell if the pads are spawning or being flushed. To be safe, build this in creative mode before you do in survival mode so you can make sure your design works. When building in survival mode, measure everything & double-check things regularly so you don't have to rebuild it if you make a mistake.
[/*]
[*]Other Projects:
- Efficient TNT Configurations: Place 4 TNT on each side of a lever and place more TNT symmetrically around that for a core explosion that propels the other TNT far away for maximum carnage, leaving a big central crater + smaller ones scattered around it. It can outrun you too, so there's no escape. I heard this idea from my brother. My favorite configuration is one that I made that uses 16 TNT, placing 8 more around the 4 core ones + 4 on top of those.
- Compact Water Dam: Place 4 pistons facing up on each side of a block. Place 2 redstone torches on the opposite corners of the pistons, with blocks below & above them. Then, put 3 redstone dust connecting them on one corner. Encase this to prevent it from being washed away. Next, add an input to activate the redstone dust. Finally, choose a liquid to put between the extended pistons (lava or water). This can be used for an automatic wheat farm, wolf alarm, death trap, or anything you want. Its advantage over dispensers is it only requires 1 press of a button as opposed to 2.[/*]
[/list]

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

Tasuki

I was never a fan of Minecraft.  I tried it a few times and I just couldn't get into it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Vincent294

I got off to a really slow start I remember. Now I have a numbered series of upgrades to my standard designs and aim at a few different objectives each time. My current design in the works is 4.6, and I plan to add status indicators to my mob grinders / XP farms, a new stone generator running @ about 200 BPM (blocks per minute), new improved mushroom farms, new improved pumpkin & melon farms, a minor skyscraper renovation, & more. I take Minecraft a little too seriously, don't I?

Vincent294

SuperKMx

Good work, VincentV! Great post.

I'm not a massive Minecraft fan, but I've played a fair bit of it - that Cobblestone Generator is ingenious!

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Vincent294
KenB

Good work, VincentV! Great post.

I'm not a massive Minecraft fan, but I've played a fair bit of it - that Cobblestone Generator is ingenious!

My new stone generator is going slower than expected, but it's making progress. The hard part is unlike my cobble generator, like you said, is ingenious, my stone generator is much more complex (a logic gate, progress detector, more specific times needed for piston activation, etc.). Making it compact and lowering the malfunction rate are big challenges. I've made some major leaps recently and have a few fixes in my head that I'll try out soon.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

SuperKMx

Well, keep us up to speed Wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots of that bad boy when you get it done

Ken Barnes,

Vincent294

It's almost done. Failure rate is @ an approximate 0% now, it's more compact, etc. Only problem is I'm working on a switch to turn it off so you can get the stone (turning it off at certain times can jam the stone generation chamber).

Vincent294

Vincent294
KenB

Well, keep us up to speed Wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots of that bad boy when you get it done

Your wish, granted: (see 1st post). I'll make a diagram and explanation for how it works soon.
Edit: The blueprint is here. If anyone wants, I can add an explanation on how it works.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

SuperKMx
VincentV
KenB

Your wish, granted: (see 1st post). I'll make a diagram and explanation for how it works soon.
Edit: The blueprint is here. If anyone wants, I can add an explanation on how it works.

That's insanely cool, my man. Top work!

Ken Barnes,

Vincent294
KenB
VincentV
KenB

That's insanely cool, my man. Top work!

Thanks. I'll summarize how it works soon. I'll try designing a second, inferior, but more compact version too. I'll also post designs for some efficient TNT setups w/ pressure plates in the center. My brother told me the idea, and I've tried coming up w/ arrangements for the TNT that give you the most bang for your buck. It can be pretty devastating, so I'll post some of the best layouts. I'll also try designing some cool deathtraps, as well as some helpful machines as well. I can accept ideas, if you or anyone else has a good one.

Vincent294

Vincent294

Update: My stone generator does malfunction on rare occasion after using it for a few days from time to time. I'll make a fix sometime, so stay tuned if you'd like a more functional design. My idea on a more compact version has been abandoned in favor of a new, more compact, easier to access version of my cobblestone generator (cobble comes out of top right now, so you need to climb up w/ the current design) which will be posted when it's complete. My TNT setups will be posted (just a screenshot because it's so basic). I'll also work on tutorials for my redstone status indicator (active project of mine) & my water gate (press a button once to let water go w/ pistons vs. dispensers for less interaction) which is useful for wheat farms, wolf alarms, etc. You can also swap out the water w/ lava for a death trap.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Vincent294

I'm making progress on my improving my new stone generator, and there's good news and bad news regarding it. First I'll start w/ the good news. I've redesigned the redstone from scratch, and it's way more compact. It also doesn't have obsidian by the stone you mine anymore, so you can pick it up from the side without having to pull a lever to disable it (plus it's a lot cheaper). On the bad news, it still malfunctions. I've added maintenance shafts in the front, back, & side so you can plug the lava leak & re-add the water source blocks when it fails. I've found out that it's most likely due to the pistons not withdrawing fast enough to let a water source block form in the center, letting the lava through. To counter that, I've made the redstone clock run at a fraction of the time a generation cycle is since a redstone clock's signal output is as long as its delay. It still hasn't done much though, so I've made a new type of redstone clock that uses 2 redstone clocks + an AND gate. They're synchronized & one runs at a fraction of the time the other does, so they go off @ the same time. Because both must be going off w/ the AND gate, the signal duration is as long as the shortest output. Before I implement that, I'll try some smaller fractions of the generation cycle to see if the issue isn't a lack of signal regulation. Another idea to check is I noticed there's a glitch in Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition (it might be the game). Redstone dust lags occasionally when a signal crosses a chunk boundary. I'll check my map to see if it's been the game all this time (which would be frustrating, because my current design might actually work, if it wasn't for the glitch).
Edit: Also, I've finished my new cobble generator, which is slightly more compact & easier to access than the last design. The redstone status indicator isn't working, but it looked like it should've worked. I'll take a closer look to see if it's another glitch too. Speaking of glitches, I'll list ones I've noticed in the newest update here:
[list=*]
[*]Renaming certain worlds can result in an error, & then they'll be deleted.[/*]
[*]Worlds sometimes fail to boot up on your 1st attempt & say you've failed to connect to the world's server[/*]
[*]Switching profiles from the menu forces you to re-do the tutorials & resets your global leaderboard stats[/*]
[*]Wolf loyalty doesn't carry over w/ gamertag changes[/*]
[*]Redstone dust & lighting lags on chunk boundaries[/*]
[*]Blocks lag when being mined (especially farmland)[/*]
[*]Chickens & mooshrooms despawn around other mobs[/*]
[*]Ghasts spawn several times faster than you can kill them[/*]
[*]Slimes spawn around level 50 as well as 16 & below in certain chunks[/*]
[*]Endermen's heads float when aggravated & they cannot fight properly[/*]
[*]Wolves kill each other after breeding unless bred far away from other mobs[/*]
[*]Torch & ladder hitboxes are faulty when viewed at certain perspectives[/*]
[*]Glass & piston textures display incorrectly when touching liquids[/*]
[*]Chests & objects other than torches attached to a block (signs, ladders, etc.) flicker occasionally after being rendered a 2nd time when returning from outside the render distance. Replacing these objects doesn't fix the issue. Only happens in worlds affected by the 1.8 chest crash glitch[/*]
[/list]
Since this is a long list, if someone can contact 4J Studios, can they report these glitches?

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

SuperKMx

Hi Vincent,
  I've tweeted 4J with the topic details. You never know, they might have a look and get some of them fixed!

Ken Barnes,

Vincent294
KenB

Hi Vincent,
  I've tweeted 4J with the topic details. You never know, they might have a look and get some of them fixed!

I actually told them on the Minecraft Forums. Thanks though. I bet they didn't notice the lag w/ redstone dust over chunk boundaries (and it happens w/ lighting too, so they can also fix that too). Plus, the other bugs can now get fixed as well.

Vincent294

Vincent294

I've been unsuccessful in reducing the failure rate on my new stone generator. It usually malfunctions after about 4.5 minutes of usage, so the maintenance shafts come in handy when that happens. Since the design is still awesome, I feel it's the best it can possibly be, & I plan to update the design on this thread. It's a lot cheaper, more compact, starts up faster, etc., but it's a little slower, at 170 blocks per minute. I'll post it w/ one of my older designs & plan to start on a small project before then to post as well. It's a status indicator for mob grinders / XP Farms. Hopefully they're helpful designs.

Vincent294

Vincent294

I just need to edit the main post to add the screenshots & new blueprint for my new stone generator. It's complete, & it works great. The new maintenance shafts come in handy when it malfunctions. I'm not going to post my water dam & mob grinder / XP Farm status indicators, but I'll have a special trick on how to use an XP Farm for an easy music disc farm (I discovered it by accident making the XP Farm status indicator. Now I have 4 new music discs to play in my house).

Vincent294

Vincent294

I got the idea for using sticky pistons to pull out the stone for the other pistons from this one guy on YouTube, bebbodux. So I took another look at his video that inspired me to make my stone generator, & he made one himself. Currently, my stone generator runs around 70 BPM (despite my theoretical calculations being 170 BPM). I'm not sure what I'm not taking into account, but I know one thing: the guy who had one of the 2 big ideas for my stone generator (the other idea of having adjacent stone generated is mine) made his own version a year ago, discovered what made it malfunction, fixed that, & made it faster. Perhaps I'll make a second version of mine, once again combining his ideas w/ mine. Well, if I can make it faster / more compact, that is.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Pixelrobin

Cool generator. I was thinking though, is this on PC? Because if it is, you can build a system which automatically breacks blocks, and them puts them into a chest via a hopper system. In addition, with the 1.5 update, you can make something that shuts off the machine and alerts you when the chest is full. And another idea: you can make a sort of creeper protection device that uses a daylight sensor to activate a obsidian wall around the machine at night.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

Vincent294
bluerobin2

Cool generator. I was thinking though, is this on PC? Because if it is, you can build a system which automatically breacks blocks, and them puts them into a chest via a hopper system. In addition, with the 1.5 update, you can make something that shuts off the machine and alerts you when the chest is full. And another idea: you can make a sort of creeper protection device that uses a daylight sensor to activate a obsidian wall around the machine at night.

Cool advice. My PC runs Minecraft @ 10 FPS (it's a super slim 10" netbook that wasn't made w/ gaming in mind) so I don't use it. Thanks for the comment on my new stone generator. I fixed it w/ some of bebbodux's ideas (I thought I was clever, but he's one step ahead of me) & managed to get mine to run as fast but at a fraction of the size. I'm working on a more compact version of my newest model (removes nearly all pistons), but it probably won't be a particularly fruitful project. At this point, I doubt it will work because I'm having trouble working out a more compact way to detect generation progress, & redstone clocks aren't working either. I'll post my current functional design by this weekend hopefully. If you have Xbox, this should work great, & it should still be pretty good on PC I'd assume.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Pixelrobin

No, I don't own an xbox, but I use the PC version. I also use a laptop. Here is what I did to make it run at max fps:
1.Go to options then video settings
2. Set blocks from fancy to fast
3. Set preformance to max fps
4. Set render distance to normal
5. Set smooth lighting to off
6. set particles to minimum
And there you go. It should work a little better if not a lot.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.