Forums

Topic: Is it worth getting an original Xbox?

Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Tasuki

Ok so I am I have a list of my next "retro" system to buy and I am leaning towards an original Xbox.  For one reason they are fairly cheap to get where I am at, a local retro game store has them for $30.

Now I will admit I am not to knowledgeable about the original Xbox my friend had one and I played games on it like PGR but I am not big on the Halo series and most of the multiplatform hits they had like Soul Caliber II, GTA and Knights of the Old Republic I got on the Gamecube, PC or PS2.  So I am afraid the only exclusives I can think of now are Halo and PGR.

So is it worth my time to start an Original Xbox collection?  And if so what other exclusives are available on the Xbox?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Gamer83

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire are worth it alone considering how cheap you can get an original Xbox for these days. There's also Splinter Cell, SC: Pandora Tomorrow and SC: Chaos Theory if you haven't played those on other systems.

Gamer83

SuperKMx

Off the top of my head, I really liked Kung Fu Chaos and OutRun 2. Black is an awesome shooter, as well.

Also, the Rallisport Challenge games were good fun, I remember! I should dig my original Xbox out of the cupboard and give it a spin. Pretty sure *crosses fingers* that it still works...

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Tasuki

@Gamer83:  Yeah I played and have both KoTOR games on the PC and they are fantastic.  I will keep my eye out for Jade Empire if I get an Xbox.

@SuperKMx:  Did the original Xbox have a high fail rate or something like the 360 RRoD?

My Backlog

Gamer83

@Tasuki

Jade Empire is one of the best, still think it's in the upper tier of Bioware's work. I'd put Mass Effect 1 and the original KOTOR just ahead of it, but Jade Empire topped the last two Mass Effects and the Dragon Age games, imo.

Gamer83

shoot_em_up

I just got the original xbox, it was given to me. Its awesome.I haven't picked up any games yet but i want fable

shoot_em_up

SuperKMx
Tasuki

@SuperKMx:  Did the original Xbox have a high fail rate or something like the 360 RRoD?

Nope, it was like an absolute tank. I've got friends who still have their launch day consoles and even the hard drives are still working perfectly. The only concern for mine is that it's been sat in my garage for quite a while, so it might have picked up a fair bit of dust. I'll give it a good cleanup and see what happens.

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Tasuki
SuperKMx
Tasuki

Nope, it was like an absolute tank. I've got friends who still have their launch day consoles and even the hard drives are still working perfectly. The only concern for mine is that it's been sat in my garage for quite a while, so it might have picked up a fair bit of dust. I'll give it a good cleanup and see what happens.

Ah ok I will admit you had me a little worried there.  Good to know that they are built very well.

My Backlog

stylon

Some of the games mentioned can be bought on the 360 digital store too. I know Jade Empire and Black are both on the store... Crimson Skies, and a load of others too. Think they call them "Xbox originals". Don't forget the 360 has pretty decent backwards compatibility and there's a list you can refer to before purchasing to make sure a game will definitely work.

Just a thought if you wanted to dabble and see if you like the games before going the full hog. Personally I find some of those old games look appalling now on a massive plasma... although a few of them did support a low end HD res (480p?) and look better than others.

Edited on by stylon

stylon

Xbox Gamertag: stylon

tylertreese

I have long wanted to invest in an original Xbox and Steel Battalion (because I'm an insane person).

I always wanted to play KOTOR and Jade Empire as well.

"Eat light, you stupid machine!" - Lex, Bioforge

Xbox Gamertag: tylertreese | Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.